Being able to engage and be a part of a group or team can provide individuals with a sense of purpose and identity, as well as improve social skills and emotional well-being.
We support and work closely with individuals with disabilities to identify goals, develop skills and access the resources required for social and community participation. Circle of Hope can assist you to find opportunities for social and community participation, whether it’s joining a sports team, volunteering, attending social events or getting involved in the arts.
Through community participation capacity building, we aim to empower individuals with disabilities so they can take an active role within their community, and develop a sense of social inclusion and belonging, which can have a positive impact on their overall well-being.
Our community participation services are unique and personalised, based on each individual’s goals and aspirations. Each service is tailored to best suit the participant, and their goals, to allow them to get the most out of the community activities and participation services.
As appropriate, participants who access this program can expect support working on:
- The importance of community engagement, social contribution and relationships in maintaining personal wellbeing
- Self-awareness and self-care
- Gaining awareness of personal interests, skillsets and passions and linking these to employment pathways
- Emotional awareness and self-regulation
- Adaptive social competency including increased awareness of social norms and expectations
- Their relationship with their disability, independence, confidence and self-worth
- Navigating systems and programs to successfully participate in their community and employment pathway
- Preparation and support to access training and employment opportunities
- Capacity building for seeking assistance in the community context without ongoing formalised supports
Not only are friends and loved ones an important part of an individual’s support system, but the community can offer a sense of belonging, identity and purpose. Supporting people in their daily life as a member of the community can have a profound impact on an individual’s quality of life.
For more information about our community participation services and projects, or to make a referral, please contact our friendly and experienced staff today.